Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week of January 10th 2011: Bikram Yoga

Have you ever done something that someone explicitly did not recommend? Because I do all the time...

Honestly though, I'd heard mixed things about Bikram. Some people swear by it and say that although the heat is intense, you feel really cleansed and amazing after you've gone a few times. Others have said how awful it was. I typically don't mind hot temperatures though and I've been to enough yoga classes that I'm fairly comfortable with it so when I saw a Living Social deal for 10 weeks of Bikram yoga, I thought it would be a really cool idea to try it.

So, one fateful Sunday morning, Try and I grabbed our yoga mats and towels and headed out to Global Yoga in the Marina for our first Bikram class.

I should have gotten a hint when the instructor told me my hand towel wouldn't be enough and handed me a full size one so I wouldn't "soak through my mat."

We walked into the room and were immediately taken aback by the intense heat. This room was a little warmer than I expected it to be... So, the two of us headed towards the window to try to get some more air. It didn't help that much and we had to take a number of breaks because the heat made us so dizzy.

The actual yoga poses aren't too bad but of course some of the harder ones take place in the middle of the class so the heat is just unbearable. After the class, we downed as many bottles of water as we could find and then passed out for a couple of hours.

We decided to give the class a couple more chances to see if we felt better but it was more of the same. I know some people swear by the health benefits of Bikram, but I'm used to feeling good after working out, not wanting to spend my day in a dehydrated coma.

I definitely think that people should try it and decide for themselves, but I'd rather do a workout that makes me feel good afterward, not like I'm punishing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment