Monday, February 27, 2012

Week of June 20th 2011: Off the Grid


During the Top Chef Tour, Chef Ryan Scott had mentioned his food truck which he basically marketed as "late night drunk food" and said that it makes a regular appearance at Off the Grid. OTG, as it's sometimes called, is a set time for a bunch of food trucks to gather in one location. There are a few of these around the Bay Area that organize on different days of the week but the biggest is Friday nights at Fort Mason.

So I grabbed a few friends and decided to check out Off the Grid and try Chef Ryan's truck.... which wasn't there. However, we still got a few other tasty treats.

 The first stop was Brass Knuckle. As you can guess, I pretty much was only in it for the name but luckily for me they had really amazing treats too. My friend Curtis got the Notorious P.I.G. ( a pork sandwich in a waffle) and I got the Raw DMC (a tuna tartar with crispy wontons) and both were amazing. The line was super long though and while we were waiting, my other friend was able to go to the Filipino food truck and come back with his food before ours had arrived. Luckily for me, he let me try his lumpia and chicken adobo. I actually didn't know that lumpia was the name of those little egg rolls but they were so fantastic that I made a point to track them down the next time I saw that food truck.

The only downside to Off the Grid is how crowded it gets. The lines were insane and after spending a good amount of time to just grab a beer and an empanada, we realized the lines weren't worth it. I really recommend trying Off the Grid because it's a great way to get a lot of amazing food in one place, but either go earlier or try to find one of the smaller outlets. I recently discovered a brunch Off the Grid at Valencia and McCoppin. Chef Ryan's truck was even there but unfortunately the breakfast offering just didn't sound as delicious. Either way, the food truck scene is a great way to get bite size tastes of foods from all over the country and world. Check out an Off the Grid and try a bunch of items from different trucks or, if you can't do that, you can always follow a particularly tasty looking truck on Twitter...



No comments:

Post a Comment