Monday, March 5, 2012

Week of June 27th 2011: Canteen

The week before my friend, Elissa, moved to New York, she made reservations at all of her places around San Francisco. She's the kind of person that finds a favorite and rarely deviates so many of these excursions didn't qualify for the blog. However, Canteen was the brunch spot she frequented with her boyfriend and I'd never been. Every Tuesday (and Saturday), Canteen has a Prix Fixe menu so Elissa made a reservation for a small group of her friends to go.

In my opinion, this was a bold move on her part. Elissa is the kind of person who always gets the same dish and is a little.... how do I say this nicely... picky... so I thought it was interesting that she wanted to brave whatever the chef decided to create that night. Luckily, it was salmon which is something that all four of us were a fan of.

This was one of those few times where I didn't remember every detail of the food (except that the brioche bread that came table-side was amazing and I go out of my way to buy brioche now) because this meal was all about the great company and it was nice to send Elissa off with a pleasant evening full of great food, nice wine, friends and lots of joking and story telling.

I have also heard though from several sources that Canteen has the best brunch in the city. I've never been and since the restaurant is tiny, I feel like I may be ruining my chances of ever getting a table...

No comments:

Post a Comment