Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Week of May 30th: BFD

I was just thinking that I flew through the May posts and then I realized that I was exerting my new option to not write about each and every new thing... Don't worry, it will be worth me skipping over the boring stuff to get to the plethora of posts I have for July (I've been keeping track of what I plan to write about in the Chronological Archive tab so see for yourself).

BFD was the day after the CFA exam so it was basically the first real day for me to let loose. For those of you who don't know - BFD basically stands for "Big Freaking Deal" and it's big concert that the local rock station, Live 105.3, puts on every summer. On Cinco de Mayo, I had invited a bunch of friends to go to a Mexican bar and restaurant with me. Live 105 had a booth there and they had a pinata full of prizes. My friend, Oleg, got in line and since it was a few days after my birthday, I took it upon myself to cut him in line. Turns out - I pulled the last envelope with tickets so I invited Oleg to be my guest to the concert.

BFD was conveniently scheduled the day after my big CFA exam so I was excited to have a fun filled day planned. Oleg and I planned to meet up with my friends Filip and Dom as they had also won tickets on Cinco de Mayo. We got there early as I would recommend to anyone going to the Shoreline Ampitheatre. EVER. Always go early. One time I missed all of the opening acts of a concert because it took an hour to park. So our two cars got there early and missed a lot of the crowds. After enjoying some beverages and having a very entertaining encounter with a young man who was "too drunk" to go to his job as "alcohol enforcement" we decided to head into the show.

BFD is a festival style concert so there were tons of options to choose from. Luckily - the concert provided these temporary tattoos with the schedules for the three most popular stages. I thought this was pretty genius (until I tried to get it off before work the next day...). I didn't have much of an agenda so we just followed the crowd from stage to stage until it got closer to the main stage perfomances.

Since I was the most excited to see Snoop Dogg and Linkin Park (and super tired from my test the day before), I volunteered to go save some spots on the lawn area. Even though it was a few hours before the bands came on it was still packed. Luckily I was able to grab a spot and proceed gentley into nap land.

My friends joined me and woke me up just in time for Snoop Dogg... who was incredible. It was really cool hearing a lot of his songs that I used to listen to in high school. There's something a little nostalgic about that. Plus, he was just hilarious and cracking jokes the whole time. I also don't think there are many artists who can perform a sold out concert... in sweatsuit, but Snoop Dogg pulled it off.

I have always loved Linkin Park and they also did not disappoint. They had really cool black and white lighting that just looked amazing. It's also nice putting more of a face to the members. The singer has such an incredible voice and was so emotional with his singing which contrasted nicely with the rapper.
The rest of the band was also very talented and were constantly switching instruments to create the beats.

BFD was a lot of fun. I definitely am going to check out the line up for next year.. and maybe even stay awake the whole day.


No comments:

Post a Comment