Monday, October 4, 2010

Week of September 20th 2010: 343 Sansome Roof Garden

I work full time, 8-5 and sometimes longer. I love what I do, but sometimes I miss being outside. Unfortunately, there isn't much flexibility in what hours I work, so I make a point to try to get outside every day for lunch. Even if I bring something, I'll heat it up in the office and then go to my favorite sunny spot around the office. It gives me time to enjoy the sun, and sometimes get a little reading done.

So.. when I heard about the 343 Sansome roof garden, I was very excited to find a new place to get away too. Variety is the spice of life and all...

The roof garden itself is very easy to get to. You go into the 343 Sansome office building and head up to the 15th floor. There are two entrances, the second being on Sacramento St. which puts you closer to the elevators. There is minimal security and the building is open to everyone. Sometimes the guard will question new faces but you can just tell her that you're going to the roof garden.

The space itself is very nice. There is a smoking section and non-smoking as well. Typically, it isn't too crowded and you can just sit where you would like to. However, last week (I've been back a few times since the first time I went) it was very sunny and crowded and a lady with a cigarette sat down right next to me. That was the same time I decided lunch was over.

In general though, it's a very nice space. One side has little tables and chairs in the sun (non-smoking) and the other end has benches that wrap around planters (smoking). The smoking side is also where you can get a nice view of the Transamerica building. There is also a random Obelisk.

I've really liked having my lunch here a couple days a week. I also like to hit up the EC's and Justin Herman Plaza. Does anyone know of any other good outdoor spaces in the SF Financial District? Likewise - I'm still trying to figure out what I can do when it's rainy.

Also, I'm not sure what activity to do this week. I really only have Wednesday night free so it needs to be something I can do at night. Suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I used to sit in some tucked away places in the Embarcadero Centers. I also sat quite a bit in that concrete area that's in between the Embarcadero Center and the Ferry Building. It's good for people watching. Behind the Ferry Building, you can head up the stairs and sit at the end of one of the ferry docks (there are benches).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tucked away places in the Embarcadero Centers! That's usually my default but I like exploring. I need to check out the Ferry Building suggestion. I didn't realize there were more benches.. everything else fills up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete