Thursday, January 6, 2011

Week of December 6th 2010: Eve Lounge and Cat Club 80's Night

I decided to start my December right by spending the first two Wednesdays at two separate open bar events. The first was the SF Weekly Benefit that I wrote about last week and the second was my company's annual holiday party. I was very lucky to get a job in the middle of the recession at a company that weathered the hard times reasonably well so we've always been fortunate to have a rather great holiday party. In fact, it's the more or less the thing people warn you about when you join the firm. Last year, our CEO told us that we would sell our computers before we stopped having this party - it's that much of our company's culture.

Despite all of that, this year was relatively tame in my opinion. Although there was lots of drinking, and a few of the managers were heating up the dance floor (caught on iPhone video by some of my East coast coworkers), nothing really ridiculous happened. So, we did what we do every year and headed out to another bar afterward.

You'll be shocked to learn that I am part of the social committee at work (or as we like to call it, the Party Planning Committee, PPC for short) so when they announced last call at the party, I was being asked where we were going next. I sent out a couple text's and learned that Eve Lounge was open. I'd been wanting to go there since a friend's boyfriend is involved in the place and I figured it would be nice to bring a few patrons with me.

I'm not going to lie... my experience at Eve is a little fuzzy. I remember there being a lot seating and I remember having a great talk with a coworker who is joining the Peace Corps in a few weeks. I remember seeing the usual suspects flirting and dancing, but mostly I remember being a floater. I spent a little time talking to the IT guys, and a little time with the boys that I talk sports with, a little time with the New York office employees, and a little time talking a little more in depth with the one or two other people that for some reason I've always clicked with. For some reason in this group, floating really works for me.

Anyways, maybe next time when I make it to Eve, I won't be so far along in my night and I can give you more details about the place.

Although most of the next day was a little slower, I felt like myself by the time I got home the next night. So when I got texts from a friend asking me to come out to Cat Club, down the street from my apartment, I couldn't say no. Little did I know, it was also 80's night so I was in heaven. I love the 80's. Sometimes I joke that I would have been better off being born 15 years early so I would have been a young adult in the 80's and gotten able to really enjoy them instead of listen to 80's covers and re-watching Back to the Future.

80's night was really fun. I would highly recommend going with a group though because the place was a little seedy. Anytime I got too far away from my group of friends I was approached by some guy that gave me the creeps. I'm pretty sure there were at least half a dozen incarnations of Disco Stu so make sure you have a friend of your preferred sexual orientation who will pretend to be your significant other when you need an easy out from a persistent creepster.

Don't get the wrong idea, it was still a really fun environment. If you love to dance and love 80's music and don't mind getting hit on by some characters then you will have a great night. Plus, I got the DJ to play "Just Like Heaven" which is one of my favorite songs (and on Rockband 3!!).

Ok, I have a fat kitty who just made a bed out of my arms and I'm losing circulation in my fingers. Boa noite readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment