Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Week of October 11th 2010: Foreign Cinema

So - a couple of weeks ago I was invited out by a new acquaintance, and we ended up going to Foreign Cinema. Foreign Cinema is one of those places that you hear about often living in San Francisco. The kind of place that everyone talks about, and you always mean to go to but never get around to it. Needless to say, I was very excited to find out that's where we were headed for dinner.

The concept of the restaurant is very cute and original. They have very nice food and wine and then they project a movie onto the back wall of their patio, hence the name. The website says what movie will be playing that week and we had "Where the Wild Things Are" going in the background. If you care at all about watching the movie, I would recommend going for one you've seen as the sound is very low and it's pretty tough to pay attention. Since I hadn't seen the movie before I just decided to ignore it's presence all together.

The food was amazing though. I wish I had taken pictures. My appetizer was duck with endive and a pea puree. I love duck but I have to admit... I've been wanting to try a pea puree ever since pea-gate on Top Chef. It tasted like... peas. I mean, better than just plain peas but after all the hype on the show, I had imagined pea puree to be God's gift to foodies. The duck was incredible though. Duck is such a hit or miss for me... I've had very greasy, overcooked duck before. This was not that duck. It was rare and tasty and amazing. The endive was very good as well. I'd only had it on one other occasion and had found it to be quite bitter but this one was not.

My friend got the calamari which was also tasty. However, it was grilled instead of fried which some people don't like. The grilled side was a good texture and the taste was spot on but the other side was not grilled and a little slimy.

My entree was also incredible. I got what was essentially called the "Meat Trio" or something like that. It was pork belly, quail and lamb. I was in heaven. I don't think I've ever had just a big chunk of pork belly like that and it was as tasty as I had dreamed. There isn't too much to say about my other meats except that they were good too. I was very proud that I had eaten 4 animals for dinner.

For dessert I had the spiced apple cake with sticky toffee and rum whipped cream. I'm not going to lie... I was pretty much sold on ordering it when I saw "rum whipped cream." It was also really good although I'm not a huge dessert person and it didn't have quite as much rum flavor as I would have liked.

This post reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Homer is a food critic but likes everything too much! I love food too much to be too critical...

I also want to apologize for being awful about posting. Between watching some amazing Giants playoffs games and doing more than one new thing a week, I've been pretty busy! I promise that I've been doing some fun stuff (with some pictures) and I can't wait to share them with you!

And GO GIANTS!!!

1 comment:

  1. I've been there once for brunch and it was fantastic. No movie showing, but that didn't take away from the experience.

    ReplyDelete