Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Week of July 11th 2011: River Rafting

It's hard to believe I'm almost a whole year behind on posts! I think my change from One New Thing a  Week to Nikki's New Things will help it catch up somewhere around the beginning of 2012 but there are still a lot of adventures to write about. Let's hope my memory does them justice.

Last summer, my friend Conor organized a river rafting trip on the American River. I had never been river rafting so I was really excited to go and instantly told him to count me in. When I thought of river rafting, my first thought was immediately of white water rapid, helmets, big rocks, possibly falling out of the boat, etc. Well, turns out rafting on the American River is a completely different experience.

We got to the river rafting site, and Conor went to get our rafts as the rest of us put on sunscreen and ate some lunch. Soon, we were carrying our rafts full of beer down to the very calm water. This kind of rafting trip was much more like a moving summer pool party than anything too dangerous. We had a little raft race and then eventually tied our two rafts together so we didn't have to worry about losing each other.

Since it wasn't too far into the summer, the water was still pretty chilly and I was a little hesitant to just dive right in but a few hours in the sun and the water felt nice. Sometimes we didn't have too much of a choice as many passing rafts would spray us with water guns. Soon most of us were in and out of the raft and really enjoying the water. We even pulled our raft over a couple of times to find places where we could all jump in the water.

A little ways down the river, we saw a few rafts pulled over and swinging into the water from a rope hanging from a tree. Of course our group pulled over to join in as well. We noticed that the other groups were only sending up boys so the girls in our group decided that we would have to go up and join in too. I was definitely really nervous about swinging in. Even though I love adventures, I always think about everything that could go wrong - but that was all for naught because when it was my turn, I swung far out and landed safely in the icey water. All of the other rafts were really nice and they helped check to make sure I didn't have any problem getting out of the water and then offered me a beer.

Eventually we made it to the end of rafting portion of the river and had to return everything and wait for the bus back to where we parked. Rafting down the American River was such a great way to spend a warm, sunny day and I'm very excited that I get a chance to go back later this summer... with an even bigger group!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment