Monday, March 27, 2017

Review: Instant Pot and a Recipe for Instant Duck Confit!

There's a word going through the cooking world right now - Instant Pot!



So what is this device that everyone is so excited about? It's basically what you would get if a pressure cooker, slow cooker, and rice cooker all had a baby. Yes, it can do all of those things.

What most people are excited about though is the pressure cooking. Pressure cookers have historically been a little scary. I remember whenever my mom used hers and she told me that if I came into the kitchen, I would explode. Needless to say, I've never been excited about attempting to pressure cook anything.

...until the Instant Pot came along! I'm not going to lie, the first few times (and every time after) I still hold some residual pressure cooker fear but the Instant Pot feels so safe, that I'm slowly getting over my fear of pressure.

So what's the verdict???

Pros:

  • SPEED - My biggest gripe about slow cooking has always been time. If something takes 8-10 hours to cook and I forget to put it in on time I'm either SOL or we are eating dinner at 10pm. Not fun. The Instant Pot does everything a slow cooker can do in a fraction of the time. Need to slow cook something for 8 hours? Put it in the Instant Pot for an hour. 
  • Flavor - I'm pretty sure the pressure helps get more flavor out of the meals. This isn't an opinion - like I think there's some science behind it.
  • Quick buttons - Every now and then I'll wing it but it's still hard to know how long something needs to be under pressure. Luckily there are some preset buttons like meat, poultry, beans/chili, etc so you can push one of those and the pot will set itself to the ideal time for what you're making.
  • 7-in-1 - it's a pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, steamer, saute dish, yogurt maker, and warmer. While you probably won't use all of these functions at once, having a multi-use appliance is great because many slow/pressure cooked dishes are best when you brown the meat first. No one wants to dirty an extra pan but have no fear - you can saute right in the Instant Pot! Then you get your pressure on and afterwards it will keep it warm for you. BAM 3 of the uses right there.
Cons:
  • BUTTONS - seriously, there are about 20 buttons on this thing. A very advanced slow cooker has about 4. There's a much steeper learning curve and you will need to read the instructions. Don't like instructions? Read above where I talk about pressure cookers historically exploding. Bet you're reading the instructions now!
  • Sealing valve - The pressure cooker has a little valve that seals in the pressure. When your cooking time is up, you can either let the pressure decrease on it's own or you can release the pressure valve and a rush of steam will shoot out. Obviously, this is terrifying. I usually poke it from across the room with the longest spoon I have. Dan has frequently asked that I warn him when I do this because even though he doesn't know the worries about pressure cookers, releasing the valve sounds like an explosion. My other issue with the sealing valve - unless the recipe says, I'm not usually sure when to release it and when to let the pressure go down on its own. I think letting the pressure release has the benefit of longer cooking (more tender, more flavor) and being safer. However, it will lead to an extra build up of moisture since the steam is not escaping - for some recipes, this will not be ideal.
  • Low heat sauteing - I've been using the saute function to brown meats before pressure cooking but it doesn't feel like the heat gets high enough to really get a good brown sear on there. If you really want a good hard sear, I would recommend using a frying pan first. It still works fine for pre-cooking things like onions or ground meat. 
All in all, it's an amazing small appliance. Yes, there is a learning curve but luckily a lot of people are paving the way. Most of the food bloggers that I follow have already been testing our recipes and there are a lot of cookbooks. I got Paleo Cooking with Your Instant Pot a couple of months ago and pre-ordered another Instant Pot cookbook for this summer. 

So my verdict - get one but do your research. Don't be afraid of your machine but use the internet, Pinterst, and cookbooks to get some guidance for your first few recipes. Once you get the hang of the buttons, don't be afraid to experiment! A few times, I've definitely thrown in some slow cooking meat and put it under pressure instead and it totally worked.

Like... that time I made Duck Confit! Duck confit is one of my favorite dishes but is notoriously very time consuming. I've made it in the slow cooker before but it misses the sear it needs and takes a long time to cook.... which makes it sound perfect for the instant pot.


The first step is break down your duck. You might be able to get one broken down from a butcher shop but in stores, I always see a whole duck for sale. Duck confit is usually just the thighs but I use the breasts as well as to not waste. 

The biggest thing here - SAVE ALL THE EXTRA SKIN AND FAT. Duck Confit has to be slow cooked in duck fat. You can buy some but it's really expensive and your duck comes with lots! I cut off all the extra skin and fat and cook it on low to make my own fat. 


Here are my little duck skin pieces frying. Just make sure your temperature doesn't get too high because it will crackle. Also be sure to watch them and make sure they're cooking evenly so you can get as much fat as possible. 


While you are rendering your fat, you can start to get a sear on your duck thighs and breast skin. To do this, set the Instant Pot to saute mode. I actually found that this didn't get them hot enough so it might be better to sear them off in a frying pan. You only need to do the skin side.


Once your duck is seared and the duck fat is ready, you can turn off the Instant Pot and strain your fat into it.


Once that's done, you're ready to pressure cook! Close off your Instant Pot and make sure the valve is on the sealing mode. I wasn't sure how long to cook it, so I just hit the poultry button. The default was 15 min but I increased it to 30 so it really would get tender.

I also wasn't sure if I should release the pressure at the end or let it naturally go down. I went for a mix of both and released the pressure after about 15 minutes. I think not releasing the pressure creates a lot of steam though and that doesn't work as well for duck confit.


When I took it out, the sear had lost it's crisp. I decided to heat them up on the stove (in the same pan I rendered the fat in). This re-crisped them up and added a lot of flavor.


In the end, it turned out really well and I saved all of my duck fat for further cooking as well as making a duck stock from the bones. 

The recipe worked out really well but it definitely wasn't quite a one-pot meal. I liked the way it turned out by re-searing the duck after the pressure cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment