Monday, July 18, 2016

Paleo Lobster Bisque

Disclaimer: I actually wrote this post like a year and a half ago and I thought I posted it then. I was trying to clear out some of my old drafts and I found this so I'm just going to post it as is but keep in mind, it might be a little dated.

Lobster Bisque is one of my favorite things. However, all the dairy and butter make it super not paleo. It kills me inside when I see perfect lobster claws at Costco and can't think of anything paleo friendly to make with it.

Well forget that. We are going to figure it out.

Googling Paleo Lobster bisque, I was surprised to only find one recipe and it didn't really seem to have that creamy factor that makes lobster bisque so luxurious. I was determined to make my own alternative.


I just have to start off by saying, the ingredients for lobster bisque are gorgeous. I think the best thing about making soups and things from scratch is being able to use fresh, healthy ingredients. It's crazy reading a label and seeing how far food has come from being anything real. Seeing these things laid out really gets us back to eating actual food. 



This was also my first experience using Old Bay which I know is a staple on the East Coast. I'd had it a few times on bloody marys when I visited Boston and loved the flavor so I was excited to have my own so I could flavor all of my seafood.

I use this recipe as an inspiration but went off the cuff to make it paleo friendly. The biggest changes were using real lobster claws, organic chicken broth, coconut cream, and tapioca flour substitutions.



To begin, I sauteed garlic and then added the stock, tomatoes, Old Bay, parsey, green onions, pepper, and dill. From there, the mixture is blended to smooth it out. After that the lobster is added in. The original recipe says to cook for 45 minutes before adding the cream. I did this but if you are substituting coconut cream, it's not as important as your coconut cream won't curdle. 


The recipe also gives the option of making a roux if your soup is kind of thin. I definitely felt that mine was. However, a roux is tricky with paleo as flour is out of the question. Instead I used Kerrygold grass fed butter with Tapioca flour. It added some helpful thickness to the soup which was great. 


All in all, it turned out amazing. I was happy to have lots of leftovers to freeze (although I lost them in the move) as well as Dan didn't like it and the recipe made a lot. 

After we moved, I bought a pre-made lobster bisque at the store because I was feeling lazy and really wanted it again. It's amazing the difference between a store bought product and one that's homemade. I won't be making that mistake again!

No comments:

Post a Comment