Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Round of 16, Day 4 - Japan - World Cup Eating Challenge 2015

So I obviously am super behind on Eating Challenge posts. Life has been happening really hard over here and this just hasn't been my priority. Without going into detail, my family has been going through a loss so I've been visiting them as much as possible. I also was preparing for my own trip to be a bridesmaid in a long time friend's wedding meaning that I had a lot of work to do before leaving. Life was definitely at it's hardest for a couple of weeks there and it took all of my remaining energy to just keep doing the challenge. I didn't have any extra for words. However, I'm back from my trip and I've been able refresh and get back some of my inspiration. I also have a new challenge on deck so there's a lot to look forward to.

But right now - let's talk about sushi. Sushi is just super pretty and the ingredients speak for themselves so how about a picture post? Great? Great.


The only thing keeping me from doing sushi before was the fish. I've always been nervous about the quality being good enough to eat the fish raw. I went to a specialty fish market and asked about which fish was sushi quality. I decided to go with some ahi tuna and salmon.


I wanted to do a hand roll along with sashimi. I had done a sushi class before and remembered some of what to do.


I put in some rice, cucumber, avocado, and then my fish.




For the sashmini, I wanted to get a little creative so I arranged them into flowers with cucumber and avocado stems. I also bought a nice sake to pair with it. 



But that's not all... I ended up buying way too much fish. This is one of those amazing problems that I'm all too happy to have. I decided to try to change it up a little and sear the tuna. 


I then cut up the tuna, salmon, and some avocado slices. It's hard to see but it's all on sheets of nori (seaweed). I called it a de-constructed sushi roll.


I ended up just eating little pieces on the slices of seaweed and it was amazing.

This ended up being a really easy day where the quality of the ingredients spoke for themselves and didn't need me messing them up. I would love to go back to the fish store and get more salmon and just slice it up and enjoy it like this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment