Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wine Wednesday - Hosting a Primal Friendly Happy Hour

I clearly love wine. There's no question about that. I also love all of the snacks that go so well with wine - cured meats, dried fruits, and cheese. I love cheese as much as I love wine and bacon. Yes, that much.

However, these are all things that are typically served on bread. As someone who strives for a primal (paleo w/ dairy)/gluten-free lifestyle, that's not really an option. Bread and flour are things that I might occasionally indulge in outside the home but I never buy products for cooking or serving at home. So how do you serve happy hour finger foods without bread or crackers?

Clearly wine glasses for your favorite team are also necessary - Go Giants!!!

The biggest thing is to have some sort of paleo alternative to use as your bread alternative. My favorite are fruits. My favorite cheese is the creamy blue Cambozola from Trader Joe's or Safeway. It's not something you can slice up and just eat in pieces but the tangy flavor of the blue is amazing on dried apricots. Sometimes I also wrap this in prosciutto and have it as a snack when I get home from work. In terms of wine - blue cheese and dried fruits go really well with Moscato and other dessert wines so this could also make for a dessert alternative.

As for the rest of the snacks, I opted for some grass fed Kerrygold Cheddar, sliced apples, plantain chips, and salsa. This mix of snacks was great for accommodating a variety of diets from paleo to vegan. It's hard to make everyone happy but it's easy to provide at least some other snacking option for your guests. I also made some paleo/vegan cookie butter later in the night which was perfect for dipping the apple slices into. 

Since this is a wine post, let's comment on that too. When you have a few people over, it's hard to accommodate every taste. I made sure to have a white and a red ready so at least in a broader sense, people can tell me what they are in the mood for. Luckily, I was hosting very close friends and I have a good feel for what they like in wine and it was easy to pick out bottles they would enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment