Friday, October 24, 2014

Gamora Costume, Monster Wreath, and More Cross Stitch - Nikki's Craft Corner

I know these posts fall out of the scope of what people expect from my blog. Some people think of this as a food and wine blog. I think of this as a Nikki's Life blog with an emphasis on Nikki's food and wine. However, the other things I do play into that no matter how you look at it. If I'm spending all my free time sewing, I'm not going to be cooking much - something my boyfriend definitely noticed. I think it's important to show what else I can make besides food and why I haven't been so good about posts... because it's a pretty good reason.

Gamora Costume 

So the last picture I posted of my costume was a far cry from anything complete. I had an intimidating amount of work ahead of me but luckily I had Dan to really push me to get it done - that and an October 20th deadline for a Disney contest we wanted to enter. 


I had to push the procrastination demons aside and get cracking. After a couple of days, I had a solid base of my top (above) and a week later, I had everything sewed into place. 


Before the great reveal though - I got to do one of the more fun parts and dye my hair! I've loved having a streak of pink in my hair all summer and adding pink tips to the mix for the costume was a super fun addition.


All in all - it turned out amazing!!! I still need a few tweaks to make it fit and look better but all the work paid off - Dan and I were accepted for the contest and we will be cheering on the runner of the RunDisney Avengers Half Marathon!!

Monster Wreath 


I am a huge Pinterest user. I love pinning crafts especially and I actually try to do them. I pinned this Monster wreath a couple of years ago and decided (as another mode of putting off my sewing) to finally make it!

I thought it would be fun to put a little twist on the project and make Sully from Monsters Inc. I got 3 20 yd rolls of light blue tulle and 1 of light purple for this. I also bought foam sheets in white and light brown (for the horns), and of course Styrofoam balls for the eyes and the wreath itself

I followed the instructions in terms of tying on my tulle but strayed after that. Sully has normal eyes so I nestled mine into the tulle instead of on top of the wreath. I ditched the bow and added the horns instead. I also was careful to make sure my purple areas looks like spots. 


The horns are just glue gunned on. I still need to figure out teeth for my little Sully wreath (hehe I rhymed!). My previous attempts weren't great but Halloween is coming up so I might just hang him up and add teeth for next year.

More Cross Stitch



I finished the kitty from my last post! Dan was really trying to enforce costume work time so I waited about a week before starting another and got a lot of serious sewing in.


However, after about a week, a new project arrived in the mail and I needed a sewing break so I was excited to start on a new cross stitch. It was a jumble of colors but I made my own little cardboard thread organizers to help me get started. 

It's funny, cross stitch seems so similar to sewing but it's so much easier and more relaxing for me. I guess because with sewing, I don't have a plan. I don't know if it will turn out how I'm thinking. I just know what I'm shooting for and hope I hit it. With cross stitch, I have direction and a picture to go off - it's so much more straightforward. 


I also ordered some supplies for future cross stitch projects. I have a big plan for all of these and I'm excited to get them all done so I can share what it is!! Each one is a different size and difficulty so it's nice to have a small one that I can work on while commuting and a more complex one to do at home.


Well, that's it for craft posts for a while! This one had me finishing a lot of projects and the only thing on my plate for the near future are finishing all my top secret cross stitches. I'll definitely post again when those are done then so - if you hate these posts, you have a while until another one and if you love them, sorry, it's going to be a bit until there's another one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment