Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Week of February 28th 2011: CSSC - Four Barrell Coffee

I'm sure you were all thinking that as soon as I finished my test, the number of posts would just explode. Unfortunately - free time is something I don't do well and have had trouble finding some. I also lost my notes (bet you were wondering how I remembered things from so long ago) somewhere between here and the UK. Thank goodness this was a spot I thoroughly enjoyed.

So, spoiler alert - There are only like... 6 posts in my coffee series and I didn't study one of those times or get food another. I did really like checking out places though and had no less than 50 or so coffee spots on my list. I was thinking of just dropping into some locations and reading for a couple of hours. I figured most 20-somethings looking for good cafes aren't studying anyways.

Without further ado - Four Barrel Coffee.... is amazing.

Taste - 5. My creamy latte was delicious. I dropped a few sugar cubes in there and really enjoyed sipping it while reading my study guide.

Buzz - 4. It was good and I was able to focus but Blue Bottle was still stronger. I think Blue Bottle is going to be my benchmark for strong coffee. If something can top Blue Bottle then I may need a new ranking scale.

Presentation - 4. I've been mostly ordering latte's just to see if they make pretty patterns in the foam. I wasn't disappointed. I guess you get a 5 if there are fireworks and anti-gravity tricks happening. Yes, I will eventually have a 5, but that's a story for another day.

Ambiance - 5. The space is really cool. I always think dark wood in a coffee shop makes it feel warmer and more comfortable. In addition to that homely feel, Four Barrel had a lot of artwork on the walls. Some of it was kind of erratic but it was fun to look at. There was also a cool rope/light fixture in the windows that I loved. If I ever get a pirate ship movie theater, I'll need to look into getting some.

Food - 4. I got a really nice toffee chip cookie. And by really nice I mean it was delicious and gooey like a cookie should be. My only issue was the size. If it came in Specialty's cookie size, this may have been a 5.

Selection - 3. For a coffee shop, not bad but there was a short list of coffee drinks, a shorter list of tea drinks and a handful of special blends. Plus, the food was limited to a dwindling display case.

Study - 5. This was probably my most productive cafe. At first I thought the music may be too loud, but it was actually the perfect volume to drown out the chatter. I grabbed a window seat and had plenty of space to layout my books. There was a lot of seating so I didn't feel rushed or like I was inconveniencing anyone.

Novelty - 4. How did an artisan coffee shop in the Mission get such a high score for novelty, you ask? It goes back to ambiance. Anyone can set up a coffee shop and say that they serve the best imported, specialty, fair-trade coffee in the city but if you can also create a warm environment where people feel welcome to relax and read for a bit, then that's kind of special. I would go back any time for a coffee, or to hang out. People had kids, dogs, laptops, newspapers - so many different kinds of people felt welcome there. That is hard to find.

Overall - 5. I was really close to giving this place a 4 based on the cumulative score, but if I liked this place so much and didn't give it a 5 - what would deserve the top score? This is a great coffee shop with friendly baristas, a good crowd and it's in walking distance. I don't really know what else I could ask for!

..but seriously - how awesome was that pirate ship movie theater?


No comments:

Post a Comment