Monday, November 15, 2010

Week of October 18th 2010: Compete in a Bouldering Competition

Before you think I am some supremo climber - I want to preface that this competition was very casual. My gym likes to host series of rock climbing competitions (If you missed the post where I discussed different types of climbing, you should review that). I competed in a top roping series earlier in the year, but since I don't like to boulder (and personally don't find myself to be very good at it), I hadn't partaken in the last bouldering series.

I decided that I felt a little more comfortable with my climbing now and would like to at least check it out. The beauty of the set-up of the competition is that you are really competing against yourself (and maybe the friend you came with). You can climb as many routes as you want and you can take the top 5 scores from the night to make your final score. They divide you into 3 groups of difficulties by climbing levels. Beginner is v0-v1, intermediate is v2-v4, and expert is v5+. I had thought beginner was v0-v2 (which is the level for men) and since I had only done a couple v2's, it seemed like the obvious choice.

In terms of my climbing, I think I did a good job. I was able to complete a few v2's, a lot of v1's and even one v3. It's always fun to challenge yourself and see that you can complete something above your normal level. For me, this is even more true with bouldering. I won't lie, I'm terrified of falling and hurting since there is no rope safety net. Maybe a few more bouldering competitions and I can overcome that fear... safely.

The night wasn't just climbs and scores though. One of the highlights of the competition is the free pizza and beer, especially if it's from pyramid. Let's just say, I somehow managed to be a regular at the mini bar they set up in the gym (disclosure: no beer until climbing is done. I'm crazy, but not stupid). Then, when I heard the words "Shoe sale" over the intercom, I knew I was in heaven. I had been hunting around for a new pair of climbing shoes so when they were selling some for half off, I knew I had to act fast. Eddy, of course, had to get the same climbing shoes as me, again. I don't blame him though, they were great shoes.

All in all, it was a great night climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment