Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 9 - Ecuador and Switzerland - World Cup Eating Challenge

Friday my friend Scott was coming over for dinner and copious amounts of wine so I was excited to find a fun dish to make. I also had a great plan for dessert. Pinterest has really been my crutch through all of this so I used it to try to nail down the night's dinner. I searched for Ecuadorian, Honduran, and Costa Rican recipes and came across one for Chicha Chicken that looked amazing.

The recipe recommended marinating the chicken in chicha sauce but I was unable to find any so I went with the back up plan of orange juice and white wine. I also decided to make some of the sides recommended. Plantains were an easy and clear choice. It also suggested mango or avocado so I made a little side salad of those fruits.

All of it was so delicious. I would definitely make that chicken again in a heart beat. Being Brazilian, fried plantains were pretty common in our house. My mom tended to make them with cinnamon and sugar and serve them as more of a dessert. I did season mine with a little cinnamon but they definitely were not sweet. They were actually amazing with a little bit of sea salt.

The "salad" was of course amazing. It's tough to go wrong with mango or avocado and it gave a real tropical feel to the dinner.

For dessert - I decided to do a little Swiss fondue. I'm pretty guilty of online impulse shopping and the fondue set was part of a flash sale that I had eagerly participated in. Even though I've had it for years, I've never used it so when I was thinking up a Swiss dish, I knew this would be perfect. We easily plowed through a bag of Enjoy Life chocolate chips and two packs of strawberries while drinking wine and watching Lost. It was definitely an amazing dinner and a really fun night.



Things got pretty weird after all that...




No comments:

Post a Comment