Tuesday, December 8, 2015

On Getting Engaged



Wow, it's crazy to believe it's been over a month since we've gotten engaged and I'm only writing about it now. To say life has been crazy lately would be an understatement. I've been taking art classes 6 hours a week, beginning to plan our wedding, moving to a house, running another half marathon, and all while still working full time and maintaining healthy eating habits and friendships. Life definitely has been a whirlwind but we haven't been bored here for sure, and well, getting around to writing hasn't been a priority. I think, in general, blog posts are going to be slow for a while. I think a lot of my other projects show more tangible results for me and so this is an outlet that I just don't really need as much anymore. I'll still be popping in every now and then but I think I'm going to chill out from the regularly scheduled blog events. So yadda yadda yadda, let's talk engagement!

How It Happened


Dan and I love photo booths. We are self proclaimed rock stars at them. So when we went to a costume party and he pulled out the ring while we were in the photo booth, it was pretty perfect. It also meant that we got photos of the occasion which makes me so happy! It was also the start of Halloween weekend which meant that we had a lot of fun events to go to and were seeing a lot of friends in person so we could share the good news face to face.


Was It a Surprise?


Not really. We'd talked about getting married a lot and a few weeks before I went ring picking. I showed Dan the one I liked and then left him in store and waited... errrr... patiently... ish... until he popped the question! Someone brought up a good point - no one should be totally surprised by a proposal. If you haven't discussed getting married at all... then you probably shouldn't yet. It's about more than a wedding, it's about building a life together. Obviously, as a couple that's lived together for almost two years, moved across the state together, and adopted a dog, we've been building a foundation for that life.


On Marriage 


Marriage is scary. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. It's crazy to think that this is a decision that is supposed to be for the rest of my life. I think that's something that should be intimidating. It's a big deal. I spend a lot of time thinking about what a big commitment this is and the more I think about it, the more I realize how lucky I am to have a guy like Dan. I'm not the kind of woman who wants to be a little wifey, staying at home cooking and cleaning. I've always wanted someone who would be a partner and treat me like an equal and never be intimidated by my big personality. I have that in Dan and so much more. He's patient when I'm (usually) not, he drives me wine tasting, and he's always finding fun things for us to do. We definitely bring out the best in each other and I don't think I would have been able to do things like the half marathons or Whole 30 without him pushing me and encouraging me. Trust me, I did not make it easy for him to keep reminding me that I needed to get my runs in each week. Like he always says - "If the rest of our lives are like the last two years, this marriage thing will be easy."


Yea, Yea, Let's Talk About the Wedding Though


Omg THE WEDDING! Ok, so yea, I'm really excited about planning a wedding. We've dream planning pieces of our wedding and now we get to actually see what's possible. So far we have the deposit paid our top choice venue, but we probably can't have the dog be the ring bearer. I guess you win some and you lose some.

People keep seeming surprised by how much we've done already, but I organize things for a living and this is something I'm so excited about putting together. We're also getting married 10 months from now so we can't just sit around and hope it all works out. I'd rather tackle things that we can now and not be stressing out closer to the big day.

Man, I don't even know what else to write on the subject.I don't want to give away any details about the wedding on my public blog since a) I want there to be some element of fun and surprise for our guests b) this is a public blog and we're having a moderately sized private wedding.

All in all though, we are so excited about everything happening! Getting engaged is super exciting and to top it off we're moving to a house is a beautiful bayside neighborhood. Life has been moving so fast and has been so busy lately. Hopefully, once we get settled in our new house we can relax and take it all in!



2 comments:

  1. OMG, I just adore your last photo with the "family" Harley posed so well! Of course you look happy, relaxed, and beautiful. Congrats again on the new house, and on taking the BIG step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmin! Harley is such a ham - she wasn't even supposed to be in that one and she just walked over and laid down lol.

      Delete