Thursday, April 5, 2012

Week of July 3rd 2011: Ocean Jet Skiing

Jet skiing is probably my favorite thing that I don't do nearly as much as I wish I did. I can count on one hand each time that I've gone and each memory is so vivid. I've always wanted to live somewhere where owning a jet ski was practical and it's always been a short term goal for me. Since I can' justify the jet ski yet, I was at least able to come close to the feeling and get a scooter. While riding through the streets has similar thrills, pavement and traffic just don't compare to feeling of waves splashing on you as you zip through the water.

While in Santa Barbara, I was so close to the beach that I knew I would regret it if I didn't find some time to kayak (another love of mine) or jet ski. However, this was supposed to be a bit more of a budget trip and I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop the heavy price tag for jet skiing yet kayaking by myself didn't seem too fun either.

After getting a little lost in the Santa Barbara hills, I finally found my way to the beach and at the risk of being too late to the family 4th of July barbecue, I pulled into the first parking spot I saw. I pulled up Google Maps and looked up exactly where this jet ski place was and by sheer coincidence, I'd parked about 100 yards away from it. I'm superstitious enough to know that I had to do this. While I was still concerned about the cost, I knew I had to bite the bullet. Looking back, I know that there is no way that small savings would have made me as happy as jet skiing did.

It's funny how easy it is to rent something like a jet ski. Pay some money, sign your life away, hand over proof that you know how to drive something and you're off!

Riding a Jet ski is just so much fun. If you haven't tried it, I highly suggest it. My ride in Santa Barbara was so amazing. There were tons of seals sitting on the buoys and I even saw a few dolphins jumping in the water. I didn't have a waterproof camera at the time and I am really kicking myself for not thinking to buy one before. I will definitely try to get some photos next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment