Sunday, December 26, 2010

Week of November 29th 2010: Pica Pica

One of the ways I find new places to go and things to do is to go on some of those "deal" websites (Groupon, Living Social, Town Hog, etc.). Doing something new each week can be expensive.... so, when Shannon recommended getting the Town Hog deal for Pica Pica, I figured why not?So, I bought the deal and a few weeks later decided to check it out with a coworker.

Pica Pica is a Venezuelan maize sandwich place. I suppose they're actually more like tortas. You get to choose from 3 different corn patties for your little sandwich, but we had the "Arepas" on all of them since it seemed to be the least bulky. We then realized that with their prices, the coupon I had was actually going to get us a ton of food. We ended up getting four of the sandwiches (two pork, tomato, and avocado; one skirt steak with plantains and black beans, one chicken and cheese) and a few empanadas (pork/chicken/beef, black beans, and tilapia).

The sandwiches were all really good, but the maize bread was very thick. I would have preferred if it was thinner like a tortilla so it didn't over power the filling so much. The pork/chicken/beef empanada was also amazing. The tilapia one smelled a little fishy (no pun intended..) so we didn't finish that one. My friend was also a big fan of the signature hot sauce on both the sandwiches and the empanadas.

Overall the place was really good and worth checking out. I had never tried Venezuelan food before so it was nice to, but I think in the future I would just prefer some carnitas tacos from El Tonayense. Man, I love those things so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment