Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day 8 - Japan - World Cup Eating Challenge

Day 8 was a true case of my best laid plans gang aft a-gley...

When I thought of this challenge, one of my first plans was to find a way to work sushi in. I knew this would be a little difficult on the "cooking" side of things though. Ironically, not for the reason you would suspect. Most people think of sushi and figure it would be really hard to make the rolls. I actually took a class on how to do this and fashioning some temaki, nigiri, or maki doesn't worry me so much. However, I have a lot of concerns about the quality of raw fish I'm eating. I just don't feel comfortable that the fish I buy at the supermarket would be high enough quality to eat raw and I wasn't feeling like doing the fake fish California roll thing.

But I had a plan! I saw an idea on Pinterest for a tuna plate with a side of avocado. I currently had 5 avocados at home (down from 8) as a result of poor planning and sales at Whole Foods so I thought this would be perfect.

My solution for the raw fish was great too. At Costco they sell cut up raw tuna with different sauces and things. I felt more comfortable with this than cutting my own raw fish and it felt like a healthy alternative. However - once I got to the tuna stand, I knew this wasn't going to work. There were four options for the tuna and they were all drenched in sauce. The only one that didn't look too bad was a wasabi flavor which I'm not a fan of. I was pretty disappointed but at this point I was hungry and I wanted some sushi so I decided just to get a pre-made sushi roll package.

While pre-made sushi doesn't compare to getting it fresh at a restaurant, I actually really like it. It's one of my favorite grab and go meals and they are typically pretty affordable. This one only set me back $11 and it was huge. I normally don't eat a lot of rice but I like to make an exception for sushi. It really does bind the rolls together and in moderation, I don't think it's that bad. I'd had a huge workout on Wednesday and I knew my body could handle the extra carbs and calories.

So Costco - you kind of let me down yesterday but you also came back with the save. Just to show that there were no hard feelings, I made sure to buy a new cook book (The Paleo Kitchen - so excited!) and a pack of cider. Ok, I did those things for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment